- 1.5 pounds dry navy beans (picked and rinsed)
- Two tablespoons of butter or olive oil
- One large onion, chopped fine
- Two cloves of minced garlic
- Two finely chopped celery stalks
- 1–2 diced carrots, diced (optional)
- 1 pound of ham steak, cut into bite-sized pieces, or larger ham bone
- Salt & Pepper
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter and sauté onion and celery until softened in a slow cooker. After adding the garlic, cook for one minute. Add beans, carrots, and ham. Add enough water to cover the beans.
- Bring the mixture to a boil for around 10 minutes if your slow cooker has that capability. If necessary, add extra water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, covered.
- If you used a ham bone, set it aside to cool before dicing the meat and adding it back to the soup. If you want a thicker soup, crush some of the beans against the pot’s side.
- Add salt & pepper to taste, garnish with parsley, if desired.
For more ideas on cooking beans in a slow cooker, you can check out this video.