I have always wanted to try Mexican street corn so I decided to prepare it on the grill. Mexican street corn is very easy to make and has a delicious flavor. I prepare to husk the corn before grilling so that it gets nice and brown on the grill. The corn grills for about 10 minutes and then is brushed with mayonnaise and garlic powder and topped off with cotija cheese, chipotle chili powder and chopped cilantro. If you don’t want a lot of spice you can use smoked paprika instead of chipotle chili powder. A squeeze of lime juice adds additional flavor. Enjoy.
- 6 to 8 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema, or sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, from one lime
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, from one lime
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to 400F. Clean the grates once it has heated.
- Whisk together the sauce: In a bowl, whisk together the crema, mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic, chipotle pepper, lime zest, and lime juice. Taste and season the mixture with salt if needed. (Crema has a little salt already, so add extra-judiciously.) Set aside.
- Grill the corn: Place the husked corn directly onto grill grates. Grill the corn for about 3 minutes, undisturbed, or until kernels begin to turn golden brown and look charred. Turn over and repeat. When all sides are browned, remove from the grill onto a plate.
- Top the corn with sauce and cheese: Using a brush or a spoon, coat each ear of corn with the cream mixture. Sprinkle with crumbled cojita cheese. Sprinkle with additional chipotle pepper, if desired. Serve immediately with extra lime wedges.