Burgers on the grill are a great option for dinner during the summer. This roadhouse burger is loaded with Swiss cheese, garlic mayo, bacon, caramelized onions, an onion ring, and a toasted onion bun. The garlic mayonnaise is just a simple combination of mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. The garlic mayonnaise really adds an amazing flavor to this recipe. I used frozen onion rings for this recipe and cooked them in a deep-fryer. You could also bake them in the oven or even make your own. I like to serve this burger with French fries. Enjoy.
- 1 1/2lbs ground beef
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 onion hamburger buns
- 4 large frozen onion rings
- 2 large onions (thinly sliced)
- Garlic Mayonnaise-
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until needed.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees. Add onion rings and fry in oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan. Cook the onions, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the onions begin to turn golden brown and caramelize. Be careful not to burn them. Remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes more and add a ½ cup of water. Allow the water to evaporate. Set aside.
- Add slices of the bacon to a cold frying pan and turn the heat to medium-low. While the bacon is cooking, frequently turn it over so that it cooks evenly on both sides. Cook until the bacon has reached a deep brown color, about 10-15 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Make 4 patties out of the ground beef and season the patties on both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the burger patties on cook turning at least once until the hamburgers are fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.). During the last few minutes of cooking top each patty with a slice of cheese and cook until melted.
- Split the hamburger buns in half and place them cut-side down onto the grill. Cook until lightly toasted on the bottom. Remove from the grill.
- Spread a thin layer of the garlic mayonnaise onto the top of the bottom of half each bun. Top with some caramelized onions, a burger patty, 2 slices of bacon, and 1 onion ring. Spread a thin layer of the garlic mayonnaise onto the bottom of the top half of each bun. Place onto the burger, garlic-mayonnaise side down.