As winter approaches its time to start looking for good casserole recipes. This shrimp casserole is perfect for those cold nights when you are looking for a nice and easy meal to prepare. The casserole uses shrimp and wild rice for most of its filling along with cream of mushrooms soup and cheddar cheese. As you can see there are not a lot of ingredients to this recipe so it’s pretty easy to prepare. Some changes or additions that could be made would be using chicken instead of shrimp, and adding fresh sliced mushrooms into the casserole. If you are serving a large crowd this recipe can easily be doubled. Enjoy.
(Makes 6 Servings)Print
- 1 (8 ounces) package wild rice
- 1lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined, with tails removed)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 1 (10 ¾ ounce) can condense cream of mushrooms soup
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook the wild rice according to package directions minus ¼ cup of water. Drain and cool. In a large skillet melt butter, add garlic and add shrimp and sauté until shrimp are fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, add more butter if needed, and sauté the green pepper and onion until soft.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl combine rice, cream of mushroom soup, 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese, shrimp, onion, and pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Spray an 11 x 7 inch casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the shrimp mixture into the casserole dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly.