One of my favorite cuts of steak to put onto the grill is the New York Strip. This type of steak is great with just salt and pepper, but when you add blue cheese and French fried onions, it is amazing! The steak is first rubbed with garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper and then grilled to your liking. The steak is then topped with butter and blue cheese, removed from the grill and topped off with the French fried onions. The longer you rub the garlic on the steak, the more garlic flavor it will have. You can use whatever cut of steak you like for this recipe, as long as it is meant for grilling. I prepared this for father’s day and it turned out amazing. Enjoy. Adapted from Lauren’s Latest.
(Makes 2 Servings)
- 2 (1 inch thick) New York Strip Steaks
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup French fried onions
- Preheat an outdoor grill over high heat. Cut the garlic clove in half and rub both sides of the steak with the cut side of the garlic clove (the longer you rub the garlic on the steak, the more garlic flavor it will have). Drizzle canola oil over the steaks and spread it on evenly. Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Place steak onto the hot grill and reduce the heat to medium. Cover and grill for 3-4 minutes and flip (You can cook the steak to your liking if you want it more well done, cook it for about 4-5 minutes before flipping). Cook the steak for another 2 minutes. Top each steak with 1 teaspoon of butter. Once the butter starts to melt spread it evenly over the top of the steak. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of blue cheese on the top of each steak. Close the lid and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the steak is cooked to your liking and the blue cheese has started to melt.
- Transfer the steaks to a serving platter and cover with foil to let the meat rest. After 5-10 minutes, remove the foil and top with French fried onions. Serve warm.