Have a craving for Tamales? No problem, this tamale pie can help satisfy those cravings with this easy to make casserole dish. Corn bread is baked in a dish or cast iron pan and then topped off with enchilada sauce, seasoned taco meat and cheese. The cornbread is easy to make and chances are you probably have a lot of the ingredients on hand already. The cornbread has creamed corn and green chiles in it for even more texture and flavor. The ground beef is seasoned with simple spices such as chili powder and cumin. You can top this tamale pie with whatever you desire such as cilantro, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Enjoy.
You can make it in a baking dish…
or in a cast iron pan.
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3–4 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 (4.5 ounces) can dice green chiles
- 1 can of creamed corn
- Taco Meat-
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ cup red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add in the oil until soft crumbles are formed.
- Whisk in the milk and egg. Fold in the green chiles and creamed corn gently until well combined. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes).
- While the cornbread is baking, combine ground beef with cumin, chili powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add to a large skillet and cook over medium heat while breaking up into chunks with a spatula until fully cooked about 10 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- Once the cornbread has finished baking, remove it from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Poke holes in the cornbread with a fork and pour the enchilada sauce over it. Top with ground beef and shredded cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the cheese begins to brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.