These Tex-Mex chili dogs can be prepared in one of two days—the hot dogs can be cooked right in the slow cooker with the sauce or the sauce can be prepared on the stovetop and the hot dogs can either be grilled or boiled. I cooked the hot dogs on an indoor grill pan but an outdoor grill would be even better. The hot dogs are loaded with a sauce, Frito chips, chopped tomato and shredded cheese. The sauce is a combination of canned chili, chopped green chili peppers and cheddar cheese soup. I like to serve these hot dogs with French fries. Enjoy.
- 1lb hot dogs
- hot dog buns
- 2 (15 ounces) can chili (with or without beans)
- 1 (10 ounces) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (4 ounces) can be chopped green chili peppers
- crushed Frito chips
- shredded cheese
- chopped tomato
- If cooking the hot dogs in the slow cooker with the sauce—place the hot dogs in the slow cooker. In a bowl combine chili, green chili peppers, and cheddar cheese soup. Pour into the slow cooker over the hot dogs. Cook on low, stirring occasionally for 3-4 hours. Serve on buns and top with Frito chips, shredded cheese, and chopped tomato.
- If preparing on the stovetop—in a saucepan combine chili, green chili peppers, and cheddar cheese soup. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and heated through. Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the hot dogs onto the grill and cook while turning until they are heated through and have a nice char. Serve on buns and top each hot dog with some of the chili mixture, Frito chips, cheese, and chopped tomato.