Popeyes Popcorn Shrimp Recipe
Unfortunately, I don’t have a Popeye’s restaurant around here but I have always wanted to try their food, so I decided to prepare this copycat recipe for popcorn shrimp. This recipe is very easy to prepare. Raw shrimp is dipped in egg and then rolled in a seasoned flour mixture and fried. You should remove the tails from the shrimp before breading them that way they are easy to eat. I used a deep-fryer for this recipe but a deep skillet with an inch or two of oil will work great as well. Enjoy.
Popeyes Popcorn Shrimp
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1lb raw shrimp (peeled, deveined and tails removed)
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 6 eggs
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl combine flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano and thyme. Mix well. In another bowl whisk together the eggs.
- Dip each shrimp first in the egg and then coat in the flour mixture. Heat about 1-2 inches of oil in a deep frying pan to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the shrimp in batches for about 2-3 minutes per batch or until golden brown in color. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.