Barbeque burgers are a perfect summer treat. I got the idea for this recipe from this month’s issue of the Food Network magazine. The original recipe called for ground turkey but I had a little trouble finding exactly what I needed, so I went with ground beef instead. I ended up cooking them in the pan but I would actually recommend grilling the burgers. These burgers consist of beef patties topped with sharp cheddar cheese, onion rings, barbeque sauce and slices of bacon. Try and find a good brand of BBQ sauce or even make your own. The highlight of this recipe is the crispy onion rings, they are very easy to make and extremely delicious. I prefer to use crispy bacon on my burgers but you can cook it any way you want. Enjoy.
(Makes 6 Burgers)Print
- 2lbs ground beef
- 12 slices bacon (cooked)
- 12 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Barbeque sauce (to serve)
- 1 Vidalia onion (sliced into rings)
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 hamburger buns
- Oil (for frying)
- To make onion rings- In a pie plate or shallow bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Dredge onion rings in the flour mixture until evenly coated. In another bowl add buttermilk and season it with a little salt and pepper. Dip floured onion rings into the buttermilk and then coat with the flour mixture again. Add oil to a deep pan, just enough to cover the onion rings (or you can use a deep fryer for this).
- Heat oil to 360 degrees and fry onion rings in batches until golden brown on both sides (about 4 minutes). Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Shape ground beef into 6 patties. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Fry in the pan with a little bit of oil (or on the grill).
- Cook until burgers are fully cooked or no longer pink inside. In the last couple minutes of cooking, top each burger with 2 slices of cheese, wait until cheese has melted and removed from the pan.
- To assemble burgers – Place a patty on the bottom half of a bun. Top with onion rings; add barbeque sauce and 2 bacon slices to each burger. Add the top half of the bun.