We have really seen a rise in the number of food trucks in the Upper Peninsula. One of my favorite types of food trucks are the ones that serve street tacos. They were so good that I decided to make them at home. This recipe consists of shredded beef and chipotle crema to make a delicious taco. The shredded beef is cooked in the slow cooker and gets a lot of flavor from seasonings such as cumin and chili powder. Fresh serrano and jalapeno pepper are added for even more flavor. The chipotle crema is just a simple combination of crema, mayonnaise, chipotle chilis, and lime juice. Enjoy.
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 serrano pepper (diced small)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (diced small)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chipotle Crema-
- 2/3 cup crema (or sour cream)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 chipotle chilis from chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Rub the spice mixture all over the beef roast. Place the roast into the slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic, and peppers. Combine tomato paste, beef broth and lime juice in a small bowl. Pour over the roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or on high for 4-6 hours) or until the meat pulls apart easily.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and shred It using two forks. Return the shredded beef to the slow cooker and mix with the juices.
- To prepare the chipotle crema in a food processor combine cream, mayonnaise, chipotle chilis, 2 tablespoons lime juice, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Serve the beef on warmed corn tortillas with the chipotle crema and any desired toppings.