Beef with peanuts is yet another delicious stir-fry dish that is both sweet and spicy. This dish gets a lot of its spicy flavor from Serrano chilies and the sweetness comes from brown sugar. Like most stir-fry recipes, this dish is very easy to prepare and takes little time. The combination of soy sauce, fish sauce, and lime juice really create an amazing flavor in this beef with peanuts recipe. The sauce ingredients will make just about enough sauce to coat the beef, so if you want additional sauce you could double or triple the sauce ingredients. I like to serve this dish with brown rice. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
- 1lb flank steak (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ¼ cup salted peanuts
- 2 large shallots (coarsely chopped)
- 2 Serrano chili peppers (stemmed and coarsely chopped, don’t remove seeds)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In a bowl toss the steak with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, and the salt. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of fish sauce with 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and the brown sugar.
- Add the peanuts, shallots and Serrano chilies to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl. Heat a 12-inch skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of peanut oil and add the beef. Cook while stirring until the beef loses it raw appearance (about 2 minutes). Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons of peanut oil. Add the shallot mixture, sprinkle with salt and cook while stirring until the shallots are soft (about 2 minutes).
- Return the beef to the pan. Stir in the soy sauce mixture. Stir in half of the cilantro and basil, and cook while stirring to allow the flavors to meld (about 2 minutes). Season to taste with salt and serve sprinkled with the remaining lime juice, cilantro, and basil.