Caroline Slaw Dogs are hot dogs topped with beanless chili, coleslaw and mustard. The chili combines ground beef with various ingredients such as onion, tomato paste, ketchup and many more. The coleslaw just uses a basic cabbage and carrot mixture. If you want you can just buy a bag of shredded cabbage and carrots or chop the vegetables yourself. Of course, you can save time by purchasing pre-made coleslaw and canned chili for this recipe but I recommend making both fresh. The hot dogs can be boiled in water or grilled, whichever you would prefer. Serve with potato chips. Enjoy.
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- yellow mustard
- 1 1/4lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (6 ounces) can tomato paste
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounces) package cabbage and carrot mix
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage and carrot mix and the 2 tablespoons of minced onion. In a separate bowl combine the sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, 1 ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar, and lemon juice, mix until smooth. Pour the mixture over the coleslaw and onion and stir well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Place the beef and the water into a soup pot over high heat. Bring the water to a boil. Add the chopped onion. Reduce heat to medium.
- Stir to begin to break up the meat. Add the tomato paste, ketchup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined. Continue to cook the chili at a low boil, stirring about every 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Place the hot dogs onto a hot grill over medium-high heat and cook until heated through and beginning to brown all over about 5 minutes. Place each hot dog in a bun, top with some of the chili, coleslaw, and mustard.