It’s getting to be that time of the year again, Easter is approaching and that means it’s time for carrot cake. There are many recipes around for carrot cake but this one is the best I have come across. Not only does it have carrots but it also has shredded coconut, crushed pineapple, and walnuts in it. Seriously, does that sound good or what? It doesn’t even end there; the cream cheese frosting just tops it off nicely. This cake is moist, rich and highly flavorful. The recipe I have posted calls for a 9×13” baking pan but I made a double layer cake instead. If you want to make a double layer cake just pour the mixture out evenly into 2 round baking pans. Enjoy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1 (8 ounces) can crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Mix with a spoon until smooth.
- Stir in carrots, walnuts, coconut, and pineapple.
Pour into a greased 9×13” baking pan and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, to the make cream cheese frosting- In a bowl beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time and beat until smooth. Spread frosting over the top of the cake.