You might remember last week I posted a recipe for Chinese Lemon Chicken. Well, this week I thought I would share the other version of lemon chicken – Chicken Piccata. Chicken piccata is basically boneless skinless chicken breasts dipped in egg, rolled in flour and browned in the pan. After browning the chicken breasts are then simmered in a delicious lemon-wine sauce. This recipe is a little different than most with the addition of fresh sliced mushrooms. Although chicken piccata isn’t traditionally served with mushrooms I feel it only adds to the flavor. There are a few steps to this recipe so it may take a while to cook. I think it probably took me a couple hours to get this on the table but I enjoyed it. As you can probably tell if you read my blog chicken is one of my favorite things to cook! I served this recipe with linguini and although optional I find sprinkling parmesan cheese on top of the chicken tastes great.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded to an even thickness)
- 2 tablespoons butter (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon oil (for frying)
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- ½ lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness between two sheets of wax paper (if they are really thick cut them in half). In a shallow bowl or plate combine flour, paprika, seasoning salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- In another bowl beat eggs and milk together.
- Dip chicken first in the egg mixture and then roll in the flour mixture and coat thoroughly.
- To make the sauce- whisk together chicken broth, lemon juice, wine, and cornstarch – set aside for now.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the coated chicken breasts and sauté on both sides until golden brown but do not cook completely. Remove chicken breasts from the pan.
- Add mushroom slices to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in garlic and onions and Sauté for 3 minutes. Pour the sauce mixture into the pan and simmer over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts back into the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes or until fully cooked. Top with fresh parsley.