Egg drop soup is a Chinese soup commonly consisting of chicken broth, beaten eggs, and green onions. This is another recipe that a lot of you might have had at a Chinese buffet. I don’t really make a lot of soups but I have always wanted to try a couple from the buffets and this is one of them. This actually turned out quite well – I felt the flavors were all there and nothing was too overpowering. Plus, dropping the eggs in the boiling broth is always fun. What really amazed me was how easy this recipe was and how little time it took to make. The egg drop soup can be made within only 10-15 minutes and would go great as a side dish with just about any Chinese inspired dinner. Another plus about this recipe is that it has very few ingredients and it is inexpensive. Let me know what you think – enjoy!
Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons green onions (chopped)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Reserve ¾ cup of the chicken broth (it will later be mixed with the cornstarch). Pour the rest of the broth into a saucepan.
- Stir in ginger, salt, and green onions. Bring to a boil. While bringing to a boil combine the corn starch with the reserved chicken broth and mix well. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk eggs and the egg yolk together with a fork.
- Slowly drizzle the egg a little at a time with a fork into the boiling broth. The egg will cook right away.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the broth and stir until its mixed well.
Tuesday 19th of May 2015
This looks fantastic! I have to try making this soon.
Friday 25th of October 2013
I had this soup for lunch (smaller amount) but it tasted really good. Thanks for the easy recipe
Monday 17th of December 2012
I will try this today, because it is simpler soup recipe.
Wednesday 5th of September 2012
When I got sick as a child my grandmother always made me some egg drop soup, she said it was the perfect cold remedy. Well, my son has a cold and I wanted to share it with him but I don't have a recipe. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It was just what I was looking for.
Tuesday 5th of June 2012
Doesn't really taste like the kind of egg drop soup you eat at a restaurant but it sure does look like it. Taste pretty good too.