Looking for a taco recipe to please chicken and ranch dressing lovers? If so, this is the one. The original recipe called for mixing the chicken with taco seasoning but I wasn’t settling for that. Instead I made my own shredded chicken taco filling and the result was amazing. If you have left over chicken, you can just shred it and use that. If not, the chicken is best if it is first boiled, shredded and then mixed with the sauce ingredients. You can add whatever condiments you want on the tacos but I just used cheese, lettuce, tomato and green onion. Not a fan of ranch dressing? No problem, just leave it out. This recipe is the perfect treat for Cinco de Mayo.
(Makes 5 Servings)Print
- Shredded chicken filling-
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- ½ cup onion (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium tomato (seeded and chopped)
- ½ green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ½ cup reserved chicken broth
- 10 taco shells
- 1 ½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1–2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ranch dressing
- Place chicken, ½ cup onion, 2 garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon of salt into a large pot. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked (about 20-25 minutes).
- Remove chicken from the pot reserving the broth. Allow the chicken to cool and then shred it using two forks. Melt butter over low heat in a large skillet. Add garlic, onion, tomato, green pepper, black pepper, marjoram, and cumin.
- Sauté until the vegetables are soft. Stir in shredded chicken. Stir in tomato sauce and reserved chicken broth. Stir in cilantro. Cook until chicken is heated through. Remove from heat.
- To assemble tacos- place shredded chicken mixture into the bottom of each taco shell. Top with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing.