What’s better than homemade fried cheese? Homemade fried cheese coated in crushed Doritos. Learn how to make Doritos mozzarella sticks at home and you’ll never want frozen mozzarella sticks again.
Why make Doritos Mozzarella sticks?
These fried cheese sticks are a fun party dish, assuming your crowd likes Doritos. You could also eat them for dinner on days when you’re not feeling like a balanced protein-vegetable-starch meal. As you can imagine, deep-fried cheese coated in spicy tortilla chips is very filling.
Ingredients for Doritos mozzarella sticks
Here’s what you need to make fried mozzarella coated with Doritos:
- 1 large bag of Doritos
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 8 mozzarella sticks
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- A deep pot for frying
Chips: You can use any flavor Doritos you’d like. (Here are the current options.) I prefer the Nacho Cheese variety as they add a nice, cheesy kick. If you prefer milder flavors, you could also use plain tortilla chips.
Flour: White flour or wheat flour will work in this recipe.
How to make Doritos mozzarella sticks
1. Crush the chips
Start by crushing the Doritos. If you have a food processor, you can crush them as finely as you’d like. I prefer a little texture so I leave mine slightly chunky.
If you don’t have a food processor, place the chips in a bag and pound them with something heavy, like a mallet, rolling pin, or big can of crushed tomatoes.
2. Coat the cheese
Next, place 1 cup of flour into a flat dish — something like a pie plate. In another flat dish, crack 2 eggs and beat them slightly. The Doritos will go into a third flat dish or plate.
Before you start coating the cheese, cut each stick in half across the middle so they’re half as long. Also set out a piece of parchment paper so you have a place to put the coated cheese. Now, for the fun part. Roll each cheese stick in flour, then egg, then crushed Doritos.
Next, heat vegetable oil in a deep pot over a medium to medium-high flame. You want the oil to be about 350°F (177°C) to 375°F (191°). If you don’t have a thermometer, stick the handle end of a wooden spoon into the oil. It’s ready to go when small bubbles (not large ones) form around the handle.
Working in batches, fry the sticks for 1 to 2 minutes each. They will brown almost immediately, but you need to leave them in long enough to melt the cheese. If they’re browning too fast, turn down the flame and wait for the oil to cool slightly.
Pull the fried cheese sticks out of the oil with a slotted spoon and let them drain on paper towels.
Serve them with marinara sauce.
- 4 cups nacho cheese Doritos
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 8 mozzarella cheese sticks
- Oil (for deep-frying)
- Marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Place the Doritos in a food processor and process until they are finely chopped. If you don’t have a food processor, you can place them in a bag and crush them using a rolling pin.
- Cut the cheese sticks in half, making 16 cheese sticks total.
- Add the flour to a plate or pie dish. In a bowl add the beaten eggs. In another plate or shallow pie dish add the crushed Doritos.
- Coat the cheese sticks first in the flour, then dip in the egg and then roll in the crushed Doritos. Repeat with the remaining cheese sticks.
- Heat oil in a large pot to 375 degrees F. Cook the cheese sticks in batches for about 1-2 minutes. They will cook fast, be careful not to burn them. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1029Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 1402mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 24g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
More Doritos recipes to enjoy
If you have leftover Doritos from this recipe, use them for: