Here is a copycat recipe for the Filet-O-Fish Sandwich from McDonald’s restaurant. This sandwich consists of a breaded fish patty topped with American cheese and tartar sauce. Instead of taking the time to bread your own fish filets, you can use frozen fish squares from the store and bake them in the oven. The tartar sauce is nothing more than a simple combination of mayonnaise, onion and relish. I like to serve these Filet-O-Fish sandwiches with French fries. Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sweet relish
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 plain hamburger buns
- 2 frozen breaded fish squares
- 2 slices American cheese
- In a bowl mix together mayonnaise, relish, onion and salt. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Cook the fish patties according to package directions, by baking in the oven or frying in a deep-fryer. For the best flavor, you will want to fry them.
- If baking the patties, add the cheese slices over the fish squares before removing from the oven to melt the cheese. If frying the patties, you can add the cheese slice on top immediately after removing it from the oil, or by microwaving the sandwich on high for about 10 seconds.
- Divide the tartar sauce and spread it evenly onto the bottom of the top half of each bun. Place the top half of the bun over the fish patty.