Every country has their version of fried chicken. Large chunks of chicken pieces are seasoned, breaded and deep-fried.
The seasoning can vary, but the marinade is mostly done in buttermilk. This is our version of fried chicken, you and your family will love this recipe.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Hot Sauce
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Oil for frying
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn-starch
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- We have taken thighs and drumsticks; feel free to add the pieces of your choice – breast pieces or wings!
- Place the pieces of chicken in a large bowl. Pour the buttermilk and hot sauce over it. You must adjust the hot sauce according to your taste and how hot you want the chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix the chicken so all the pieces are coated evenly with this buttermilk and sauce mixture.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and place it in the refrigerator for atleast 4 hours.
- The more time you give the chicken to soak in the mixture the more flavor it absorbs and the more tender it gets from within – so ahead and soak it overnight!
- For the crispy coating – use a shallow dish to prepare the coating or use a zip lock bag like us. It is pretty easy and somewhat less messy.
- Combine together all the ingredients for the breading – flour, corn-starch, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, basil, salt and white pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Once the soaking time of the chicken is over and you are ready to enjoy the crispy chicken then turn on the flame, pour the cooking oil in a deep pan or skillet and heat to 350 degrees.
- Your pan or skillet should be deep enough for the chicken pieces to be immersed in the oil completely. This will ensure that the chicken gets cooked properly and gets evenly crisp.
- Take out the chicken from the refrigerator and using a pair of tongs remove one chicken at a time from the buttermilk mixture shake off the excess juices from it.
- Place it in the mixture and coat it with the breading. Shake off the excess breading and place it the oil directly.
- Repeat the process for the other chicken pieces. You fry 3-4 pieces of chicken at one go.
- It will take 14-15 minutes to cook the chicken on medium high. Flip the pieces every 2 minutes so it gets cooked evenly.
- Remove from the oil and place it on a paper towel to soak the excess oil.
- This recipe makes you tasty chicken pieces that have a crunch on the outside and are juicy from within.
- Enjoy the fried chicken with a dip of your choice.