The green bean casserole was created by Campbell Soup Company back in 1955. Although it did not work out for the company it became quite popular in American households and is considered as comfort food.
The main ingredients of the dish are green beans, mushroom and onions. It is a popular dish prepared for Thanksgiving dinners in American.Print
- 2 lb Green beans trimmed and washed
- 1 ½ lb cremini mushroom stemmed and sliced
- 2 medium white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fried onion
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter or 1 stick, divided
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly crackled black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- We have just trimmed the beans and kept them in full length. However, if you like you can go ahead and cut them into halves or three pieces, whatever you like.
- Turn on the flame and place a large pot with water. Add some salt and let it boil. Add your green beans and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Do not overcook the beans else they will lose color. They must be cooked just right as you also need to bake them in the oven. Once the beans are done drain the water and transfer to the casserole dish and set aside.
- Add 4 tbsp. butter in a pan and to it add the sliced onions.
- Keep the heat high and cook till they are softened. Don’t wait for it to change its color. It took us about 8 minutes it may probably take you a minute more or less.
- Now add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for another 5 minutes till they are slightly browned. Throw in your sliced garlic and cook for another minute. Transfer the mushroom and onion mixture to the casserole dish with the green beans.
- In the same pan, we wiped and used ours; you could do the same, melt 4 tbsp. butter and then add the flour. Keep the flame medium cook for 5 minutes whilst stirring the roux continuously.
- When the roux turns golden add the milk, heavy cream, chicken broth, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir all the ingredients well and lower the heat to medium low. Cook the mixture for about 10 minutes till the sauces thicken – creamy and yum!
- Pour the sauce over the green beans and vegetable mixture in your casserole dish and then mix till all the veggies are coated in sauce.
- Cover the casserole dish with an aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake the dish for 10 more minutes.
- It looks and smells heavenly!
- Garnish with some fried onions and serve. Green beans casserole makes a great side dish for Thanksgiving party or a family get together.