Why go to a fast-food restaurant when you can make a fried chicken sandwich at home? This fried chicken sandwich tastes much fresher and has greater flavor than any fast-food restaurant could produce. The best part about this sandwich is the dill pickle sauce. The dill pickle sauce consists of just four ingredients that blend perfectly to create an amazing flavor. The chicken patties are extra crispy due to a method of mixing the flour with a little bit of water. The chicken patties also have a great deal of flavor from seasonings such as cayenne pepper, sage, and thyme. Sage and thyme can be strong flavors and if you choose, you can leave them out of the seasoning mixture. These sandwiches go great served with French fries. Enjoy.
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- egg whites from 2 large eggs (lightly whisked)
- 4 Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- shredded lettuce
- Dill Pickle Sauce-
- ½ cup dill pickle chips (finely chopped)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl combine salt, paprika, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, garlic powder, thyme, sage, and cayenne pepper.
- Set aside. In another small bowl whisk together chopped dill pickle chips, mayonnaise, mustard, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed. In yet another separate bowl lightly beat the egg whites.
- In a shallow bowl or pie dish mix together flour, baking powder and 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture.
- Drizzle the cold water over the top of the flour mixture and work in it using your hands until all of the liquid has been absorbed into the flour, you will end up with pea like mixture.
- Cut the chicken breasts in crosswise (you will end up with 4 pieces).
- Pound the pieces down using a meat mallet until they are about ½ inch thick. Using your hands rub the remaining spice mixture into the chicken. One at a time, dip the chicken pieces into the egg whites and then roll in the flour while pressing to coat.
- Place the chicken pieces into the deep fryer (you may have to fry in batches 1-2 at a time) and deep-fry at 375 degrees F. until golden brown and the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 Degrees F.).
- Drain on paper towels. Serve on buns topped with dill pickle sauce and lettuce.