One thing I have always wanted to try is fried green tomatoes. Taking a lookout in my garden I saw quite a few tomatoes that were green and knew I had to try them. For those of you that are not familiar with this dish… fried green tomatoes are just that, tomatoes that are not yet ripe. They get coated with breading and fried in oil. The green tomatoes are first dipped in an egg/milk mixture and then rolled in both bread crumbs and cornmeal. You could also use tomatoes that are ripe for this recipe but make sure they are not overripe or they will become mushy. I suppose you could deep fry these as well if you prefer. If you are like me and want to give fried green tomatoes a try, check this recipe out. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- Slice each tomato into about ½ inch thick slices. Discard the ends. In a medium bowl whisk eggs and milk until well combined.
- Pour flour onto a plate.
- On a pie plate or bowl combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Roll each tomato slice in flour, then dip in the egg mixture and then dredge in cornmeal/breadcrumb mixture until evenly coated.
- Repeat until all slices are coated.
In a large skillet add oil, so that the oil is about ½” deep in the pan. Heat to medium-high heat. Add tomatoes to the pan (until the pan is full but tomatoes should not be touching each other).
- Fry until tomatoes are brown on the bottom, flip over and brown on the other side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
Tuesday 24th of May 2011
mmmmmmmmmmmm i heared they are very yummy i want so to try them. bryan you should try them before you say "yuk"
Saturday 17th of October 2009
I was much like Bryan when i first heard of fried green tomatoes, however my mother in law prepared some with dinner and much to my surprise they were pretty good. It was definately not what I had expected.
Wednesday 23rd of September 2009
When I make fried green tomatoes, I don't use cornmeal. I slice the tomatoes, salt and pepper each side, dredge in flour and fry in a little oil in a large skillet.
Tuesday 1st of September 2009
With the cold weather all summer, I have been looking for a good fried green tomato recipe. I will be giving this one a try.
Friday 28th of August 2009
I have always wanted to try fried green tomatoes! I will definitely be giving this one a go! Thanks!