Tired of eating the same old tacos with the shell or tortilla? If so, fry bread tacos may be the answer. Fry bread tacos are a different and delicious way to make tacos. Instead of filling a tortilla or shell, the meat, cheese, beans, tomatoes, and lettuce are stacked on top of fry bread. The fry bread is the real highlight of this recipe, it is absolutely delicious. When you are making the fry bread make sure the oil is hot enough before putting the dough in the pan. You can add anything else you like on tacos to this recipe as well, such as black olives, sour cream and green onions. Enjoy.
- Fry bread-
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups oil (for frying)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 ounces) can pinto beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- ½ cup picante sauce
- Combine pinto beans and 2 tablespoons of picante sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Heat until heated through.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef with taco seasoning according to the package directions. Cover and keep warm.
To make fry bread – in a bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk and mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball.
- On a floured surface knead the dough until its smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet (oil should be at least 1 ½” deep) to 365 degrees. Break off ¾ cup sized pieces of the dough and shape into round discs that are about ¼” in thickness.
- Make a thinner depressed area in the center. Fry the bread (1 piece at a time) in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Turn only once. Drain on paper towels.
- Top fry bread with beans, taco meat, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese.