One of the best Chinese seafood dishes is honey walnut shrimp. Honey walnut shrimp is very popular in many restaurants. This dish is actually pretty cheap compared to most shrimp dishes. The shrimp is the only item on the ingredient list that is somewhat expensive. The steps are very easy – the shrimp are
lightly battered, deep fried and then tossed with a honey sauce. The real treat here is the candied walnuts, they are delicious! If get some shrimp that are already peeled and deveined this dish can be on the table in about a half hour. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe
- 1lb large shrimp (peeled and deveined, with tails removed)
- 1 cup of water
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- ½ cup walnuts
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup oil (for frying)
- In a small saucepan mix water and sugar. Bring to a boil and add the walnuts. Boil for 2 minutes, drain and place on a baking sheet to dry.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Stir in cornstarch until it becomes somewhat thick.
- Dip shrimp into the batter. Heat oil in a deep fryer and fry shrimp in batches in oil until golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels.
- In a serving bowl, mix mayonnaise, honey, and sweetened condensed milk. Add shrimp and toss to coat with the sauce. Add walnuts and serve.
Saturday 13th of April 2013
awesome...have made three times now. My grandsons favorite..I skip step 1 as I prefer to to use store bought Emerald glazed walnuts...just add to step 3. so easy to make..so yummy...
Friday 8th of June 2012
made this served over chopped lettuce very very good
Thursday 17th of May 2012
I have been looking for this reciepe for a long time I'm going to give it a try
Saturday 3rd of March 2012
This looks soooooo good! A local Chinese restaurant used to make it but the owner passes away and they removed it from their menu. Thank you thank you for giving this recipe! Gonna try it this week:-)
Sunday 19th of February 2012
I love this recipe...Now I can make my own,instead of buying it from the restruaunt.