Ever since I was a kid, I have enjoyed hot dogs with macaroni and cheese. Unfortunately, using boxed mac and cheese can be rather disappointing; so I decided it was time to make a casserole that consisted of sliced hot dogs and homemade mac and cheese. You can use whatever type of hot dogs you like; I always prefer the all-beef hot dogs. This recipe is very easy, the mac and cheese is first cooked on the stove top, and then mixed with the sliced hot dogs and baked in the oven for about 30 minutes. This casserole makes a great dinner for any night of the week. Enjoy.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 hot dogs (sliced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cooking spray
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the elbow macaroni until cooked but still a little chewy (about 8 minutes). The macaroni will finish cooking when it is being baked. Drain and set aside.
While the macaroni is cooking. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour, salt, and
- pepper, and whisk until smooth. Cook for 2 minutes while whisking constantly. Add the milk, slowly, a little at a time while whisking. Whisk until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add the macaroni and sliced hot dogs to the cheese sauce. Mix well. Lightly spray a 9×13” casserole dish. Pour the macaroni mixture into the casserole dish, place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and the top begins to brown.
(Makes 6 Servings)