Seafood lovers are sure to enjoy this hot crab dip. This dip combines ingredients such as crab meat, mayonnaise, and cream cheese. The dip is first baked in a baking dish, then put into a bread bowl and baked again. The bread bowl is totally optional; you can just serve the dip right out of the casserole dish if you want. You can also use any type of crab meat you want; canned crab, imitation crab, or if you really want to get serious, fresh crab. I personally used canned lump crab meat. This is a very easy recipe to prepare, the total baking time is just 30 minutes. This is another great appetizer and perfect for the Super Bowl. Enjoy!
- 11 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 (6 ounces) cans crabmeat (drained, and flaked)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 (1 pound) loaf, crusty Italian bread
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, chopped onion, mayonnaise, crab meat, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Spread the mixture into a 1-quart baking dish. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut a circle in the top of the bread and scoop out the inside to create a bread bowl. Tear the removed bread into pieces for dipping.
- After 20 minutes, remove the crab dip from the oven and stir well. Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out loaf. Place the bread bowl and the pieces of torn up bread onto a baking sheet. Place into the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot.