Preparing roast potatoes do require a little bit of work but it is well worth it. These potatoes come out of the oven crispy and have amazing flavor. The potatoes are first boiled in a pot and then placed onto a baking sheet and baked in the oven until crispy. The potatoes are then tossed with a cooked garlic and rosemary mixture and fresh parsley. These potatoes make a great side dish to include in all kinds of meals. Enjoy.
- Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 lbs russet potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters or sixths)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Small handful picked rosemary leaves (finely chopped)
- 3 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Small handful of fresh parsley leaves (minced)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Heat 2 quarts of water in a large pot until boiling. Add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, the baking soda, potatoes, and stir. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until a knife meets little resistance when inserted into potato chunks (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile combine olive oil, rosemary, garlic and a few grinds of black pepper in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook while stirring and shaking the pan constantly until the garlic just begins to turn golden brown, about 3 minutes. Immediately strain oil through a fine-mesh strainer set in a large bowl. Set garlic/rosemary mixture aside and reserve separately.
- Drain the potatoes once they are cooked and let them sit for about 30 seconds. Transfer to a boil and mix with the infused oil. Season to taste with more salt and pepper and toss to coat, shaking the bowl roughly until a thick layer of mashed potato-like paste has built upon the potato chunks.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large rimmed baking sheet and separate them, spreading them out evenly. Transfer to the oven and roast without moving for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes use a thin spatula to release any stuck potatoes, shake the pan and turn the potatoes.
- Continue roasting until the potatoes are crisp and brown all over, turning as shaking them a few times during cooking, 30 to 40 minutes longer.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and add the garlic/rosemary mixture and minced parsley. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.