Jambalaya is comfort food that is quite popular in Louisiana. The dish has mixed influences from West African, Spanish and French cultures.
The dish mainly comprises of rice, vegetables, sausage and meat or seafood. Onion, bell pepper and celery – referred to as the ‘holy trinity’ is a must in Jambalaya.
However, a variety of vegetables are added according to the taste of an individual.Print
- 1 pound chicken legs and thighs
- 1 pound Andouille sausage sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – seeds removed and chopped
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 fresh cayenne pepper minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and ground black pepper. Turn on the flame. Add 2 tbsp. of oil in a large pot and heat it over medium heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and sear them. Searing locks in the juices of the chicken and makes the dish tastier.
- Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes till the sides are turned golden brown. Once done remove the chicken, transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Next you need to make the roux. Add canola oil and let it get hot, wait till the smoke comes out.
- Add flour and stir. Keep stirring till the flour turns chocolate brown in color. Next add the bell pepper, celery and onion.
- Stir the vegetables with the roux for a minute then add the minced garlic and cayenne pepper. Cook for another minute, the ingredients will look caramelized.
- Now add the chicken stock – pour the stock with one hand and keep stirring the ingredients with the other hand. This will give you a smooth slurry without any lumps.
- Add some more black pepper and salt to taste. Now cover the pot and simmer for an hour. This will let the roux cook evenly.
- After an hour add the sausages, rice and chicken pieces. Cover and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Take it out from the oven and add the butter and scallions. Serve hot!
- You can use your choice of meat. This recipe has been made with chicken but you can add turkey, pork or even beef.