- 16 butter lettuce leaves (rinsed and pat dried)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil (for frying)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Asian chili pepper sauce (optional, to taste)
- 1 (8 ounces) can water chestnuts (drained and chopped)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- Heat a medium skillet to high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add ground beef. Break beef up into very small pieces with a metal spatula and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook until beef is fully cooked. Drain, remove from pan and allow the beef to cool.
- In the same pan add onions and stir fry for 1 minute. Add garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, and chili pepper sauce to the onions. Stir to mix well. Stir in water chestnuts, green onions, and sesame oil.
- Continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Add sauce mixture to ground beef and mix well in a bowl.
Pile the meat mixture into the center of each lettuce leaf. Wrap the lettuce around the meat like a burrito.