One of my favorite types of brownies is mocha brownies. If you are the type of person that likes to sit down and have a brownie along with a cup of coffee, these are perfect for you! The brownies use instant coffee and cocoa to give them that amazing and rich flavor. The highlight of this recipe is the coffee frosting. The coffee frosting is very delicious and you can adjust the amount of instant coffee in it to your taste. I would recommend about 2 teaspoons but if you want a stronger flavor, I would say go with 3. These mocha brownies are very easy to make and really moist. Enjoy.
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup of cocoa
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13” baking dish with tin foil and lightly grease It lightly.
- Melt butter and shortening in the microwave or on the stove top.
Pour melted butter and shortening into a large mixing bowl. Add cocoa and blend in well. Add sugar and mix well. Dissolve instant coffee in a tablespoon of hot water and mix into the cocoa mixture.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat in well by hand. Stir in vanilla, flour, and salt. Pour mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool.
- While brownies are cooling. To make the frosting – In a bowl cream butter and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat on medium speed. Dissolve instant coffee in milk and add to the mixture. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled brownies.