Meatballs get even better when they are stuffed with mozzarella cheese. The meatballs are cooked in the slow cooker right in the spaghetti sauce. You can use either your favorite brand of sauce or even make your own. The meatballs use two different types of meat—spicy Italian sausage and ground beef. I really like the flavor that the Italian sausage adds to this recipe. Try to form the ground beef mixture as well as you can around the cheese cubes so that it does not leak out while cooking. However, it is normal for some of the cheese to come out. I like to serve these meatballs with spaghetti noodles. Enjoy.
- 1 (8 ounces) block mozzarella cheese
- 1lb ground beef
- 1lb spicy Italian sausage
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into ¾ inch cubes. In a large bowl, using your hands combine ground beef, Italian sausage, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, eggs, milk, and parsley.
- Roll the meat mixture into golf ball sized balls and place a cube of the mozzarella cheese into the center and pull the edges of the meatball around it until it’s a ball again. Roll with your hands to seal tightly.
- Pour a thin layer of the pasta sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker. Place a layer of the meatballs on top of the sauce. Pour the remaining sauce over the meatballs. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F).