These turkey meatballs are Italian style and are stuffed with cubes of mozzarella cheese. The meatballs use classic Italian ingredients such as garlic, Italian seasoning, Romano cheese, and fresh parsley. The meatballs are baked in the oven and then served with a homemade sauce. The sauce is just a simple combination of crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes add a little kick to the sauce without making it too spicy. The original recipe called for browning the meatballs in oil on the stovetop before baking them but I cooked them fully in the oven. Using turkey in meatballs is a healthier alternative than ground beef. Serve with cooked pasta. Enjoy.
- lean ground turkey 20 oz
- fresh mozzarella cheese 4 oz
- egg, beaten 1 large
- breadcrumbs 1/2 cup
- garlic powder 1 1/2 Tsp
- fresh parsley, chopped finely 1 handful
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
- preheat oven to 350. Pour vegetable oil on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine ground turkey, beaten egg, panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder and parsley in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut mozzarella into 25 small pieces (about 3/4 – 1″inch squares). Take a small scoop of the meat mixture (about 2 tablespoons) and flatten it slightly in the palm of your hand. Place a piece of mozzarella in the center and wrap the meat around it, forming a ball. Take care to make sure the cheese is entirely sealed in your meatball. Roll on the baking sheet to coat with oil.
- Repeat with all meat, making roughly 20-24 meatballs, lining each on the baking sheet after rolling in oil. Place in the oven for 25 minutes or until browned and completely cooked, turning once half-way through cooking.
These can be prepared and frozen in advance for a quick weeknight meal. Just prepare as above, but do not coat in oil. Line meatballs on a baking sheet that will fit in the freezer and quick freeze them until set (about 2 hours). Then tightly wrap in a plastic bag and seal in a plastic container.