I can’t say I ever get tired of eating macaroni and cheese; there are so many different types of cheeses that create different flavors. This pancetta mac and cheese uses several different types of cheese including goat cheese, white cheddar, yellow cheddar, brie, and provolone. If you can’t tell this recipe can get a little expensive but it really tastes amazing. I found the flavors of the cheeses to come together very nicely and it turned out to be one of the best macaroni and cheese recipes I have tried yet. This makes a perfect side-dish or it can be served as a dinner. Enjoy. Adapted from The Stay at Home Chef.
(Makes 8 Servings)
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1lb elbow Macaroni
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 4 ounces plain goat cheese
- 4 ounces shredded sharp white cheddar
- 4 ounces shredded sharp yellow cheddar
- 4 ounces Brie
- 4 ounces provolone
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain. Meanwhile, In a small skillet over medium-high heat cook pancetta for about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Allow the pancetta to cool and then crumbled it into pieces.
- Melt ½ cup (1 stick) of butter in a large saucepan. Once the butter has melted whisk in flour, ground mustard, onion powder, and salt. Whisk in milk, a little at a time and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture has become somewhat thick and starts to bubble, remove the pan from the heat and add in the goat cheese, white cheddar, yellow cheddar, provolone, and brie. Stir until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Mix the cheese sauce with the cooked noodles and then stir in crumbled pancetta.