The addition of pulled pork and macaroni and cheese to a grilled cheese might just create one of the best sandwiches ever. Pulled pork on a grilled cheese is great by itself but adding homemade macaroni and cheese onto the sandwich makes it incredible. The flavor of this grilled cheese is going to depend a lot on what type of BBQ sauce you use. You can either use your own homemade recipe, my recipe, or your favorite store brand. The pulled pork is prepared in the slow cooker and the macaroni and cheese is prepared on the stovetop. This recipe does require a little bit of work preparing the ingredients but the end result is delicious. Unless you are making a lot of sandwiches, chances are you will probably have a bit of leftover pulled pork and macaroni and cheese. You might want to save it for another use or serve them on the side. If you are looking for a different type of grilled cheese sandwich, be sure to give this one a try. Enjoy.
- 1 (3lb) boneless pork should roast
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- Mac and Cheese-
- 1 (8 ounces) package elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 slices bread
- 16 slices cheddar cheese
- Trim the pork of any excess fat. Spread chopped onion onto the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the roast on top of the onions. Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low until the pork roast is very tender and shreds easily (about 8 hours). Remove the meat to a wooden cutting board. Shred the meat using two forks, removing any fat or grizzle. Skim any excess fat from the liquid in the slow cooker. Return the pork to the slow cooker and mix with BBQ sauce. Keep warm.
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Melt butter in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the milk and cream stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes while whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring. Add the cheddar cheese, a little at a time, until the cheese has melted.
- Spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Top each bread slice with 1 slice of cheddar cheese, a layer of the macaroni and cheese, and a layer of pulled pork. Top the pulled pork with another slice of cheddar cheese.
- Top with the remaining bread slice.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Place sandwiches into the skillet butter side down. Spread butter on the top of each sandwich.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 6-8 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Turn the sandwiches and cook for 5-6 minutes longer or golden brown and the cheese has melted.