One of the easiest meals to prepare in the oven is salsa chicken. Salsa chicken consists of chicken breasts sprinkled with taco seasoning, topped with salsa and then baked in the oven. When the chicken has finished cooking it is then topped with Colby-jack cheese. If you do not want to use Colby-jack, a Mexican cheese blend would be great as well. You can use whatever type of salsa you want. The best part about this recipe is it is only 4 ingredients—chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, and cheese! After the chicken has finished cooking you can top it with whatever you like; some good options are sour cream, green onion, lettuce, tomato, and black olives. If you do not have much time and are looking for an easy dinner to prepare, this dish is perfect for you. I served this recipe with Spanish rice. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 cup shredded Colby-jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of the chicken breasts. Place the chicken breasts into the baking sheet. Spread a layer of salsa over the top of each chicken breast.
- Place into the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees). Sprinkle Colby-jack cheese evenly over each chicken breast, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven.
- To serve- top the chicken with any additional ingredients such a sour cream.