I figured the best way to start off grilled cheese month would be with a delicious sausage and egg grilled cheese! All that you need for this recipe is breakfast sausage, eggs, milk, American cheese, bread and butter. You can buy the breakfast sausage in bulk or remove it from the casings. If you do not want to use American cheese, cheddar would be great as well. Using a griddle works great for this recipe but you can also use a non-stick skillet as well. I like to serve these grilled cheese sandwiches with hash browns on the side. Enjoy.
- 1/2lb breakfast sausage
- 8 slices white bread
- 8 slices American cheese
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- Heat a medium skillet to medium-high heat. Add the sausage and break up while cooking into chunks with a spatula until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 160 Degrees F.).
- In a medium bowl mix together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Melt about 1 tablespoon of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture. As the eggs begin to set, gently pull them across the pan with a spatula, forming large curds.
- Continue cooking while pulling and folding the eggs until thickened no and visible liquid egg remains. Mix the cooked sausage in with the eggs.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place a piece of bread butter-side down onto the top of a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add a slice of cheese, some of the egg mixtures, followed by another slice of cheese. Put the second bread slice on top, butter-side facing up.
- Fry for a couple of minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.