This delicious beef stew is prepared in the slow cooker and is great to serve for dinner. The meat is browned and then added into the crockpot with ingredients such as beef broth, garlic, onion, mustard, beer and many other ingredients. If you don’t want to use beer, just add extra beef broth instead. You can skip the browning of the meat if you want and just add it into the slow cooker. You can add extra vegetables if you want such as carrots. This stew goes great served with egg noodles. Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3lbs beef stew meat
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups beef broth
- 2 large yellow onions (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons beef base
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour + 4 tablespoons beef broth
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- Minced fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Season the beef chunks with salt and pepper and then dredge with flour. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef chunks and brown in batches on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Once the beef is cooked add it to the slow cooker. Add onions, garlic, beef broth, beef base, beer and mustard. Add thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Mix 2 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of beef broth. Stir into the beef in the slow cooker. Increase the heat to high and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with egg noodles and garnish with parsley.