You can prepare countless types of meals in the slow cooker, including Chinese chicken with cashews. This recipe does require a little work because you need to brown the chicken in the pan first. If you wanted you could just add the chicken raw into the slow cooker, but the sauce may not be as thick when it has finished cooking. The sauce uses delicious Chinese flavors such as soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and ginger. The process to preparing this recipe is very easy—the chicken is first coated with flour, browned in the wok or frying pan and then placed into the slow cooker with the sauce and cooked on low for 3-4 hours. This dish goes great when served over white or brown rice. Enjoy. Adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooking.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (cut into 1” chunks)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- A ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup green onions (sliced)
- Add flour and pepper to a large sealable food storage bag or sealable container. Shake to coat the chicken with the flour mixture. Heat canola oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 2 minutes of each side. Remove from the pan and place the chicken into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees). Once the chicken has finished cooking add cashews and stir. Serve over rice and top with sliced green onions.