I generally prefer to cook turkey breast in the oven but using the slow cooker is an easy and delicious method as well. With this recipe the turkey breast is coated with seasonings and then added to the crock pot with vegetables. The seasonings include mostly ingredients you already have on hand such as salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. The fresh ingredients that are added to the slow cooker are thyme, onion and garlic. You can use the juice from the slow cooker to prepare a gravy at the end of the cooking process. Enjoy.
- 2lb unfrozen turkey breast (I used boneless)
- 1 head of garlic (cut in half horizontally)
- 1 yellow onion (cut in half)
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- Spice Rub-
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 grinds of fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl combine garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper and olive oil. The mixture should form a thick paste. Rub the mixture all over the turkey breast. Place the onion, thyme and garlic face down in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the turkey breast on top of the vegetable so that it is elevated.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Check it with a meat thermometer at 6 hours (the internal temperature should be 165 degrees F). Remove the turkey breast from the slow cooker and allow it to rest.
- Strain the liquid from the slow cooker into a bowl. You will want about 2 cups of liquid for the gravy. If you are short, make up for it with the chicken broth. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Add in the strained slow cooker liquid and chicken broth, a little at a time. Whisk while cooking until the mixture has become somewhat thick. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the turkey breast.