Stuffed green peppers are a dish that is sure to please the entire family. This dish consists of green bell peppers stuffed with a ground beef and tomato mixture. Some of the other ingredients for the filling include rice, and onion. You could add additional ingredients into the filling based on your taste if you choose. The peppers are stuffed with this mixture and then topped with cheese and condensed tomato soup. This recipe is perfect for garden fresh peppers in the summer but can be prepared all year round. Enjoy.
(Makes 6 Servings)Print
- 6 green bell peppers
- salt ( to taste)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup onion (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can whole peeled tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- A ½ cup of water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 (10.75 ounces) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cut the tops off the green peppers. Remove the seeds and place the peppers into the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and sprinkle salt inside each pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat-high add ground beef and onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until the beef is browned. Drain off any excess fat and season the beef with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped tomatoes, rice, a ½ cup of water, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Stuff each pepper with the beef and rice mixture, and place peppers open side up in a baking dish. In a medium bowl combine tomato soup with just enough water to make the soup a gravy consistency. Pour the soup over the peppers.
- Cover and place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes. During the last few minutes of cooking, uncover and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Finishing baking until the cheese has melted.