This is a copycat recipe for the spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy’s restaurant. I have never had this sandwich at Wendy’s but this recipe was delicious! This sandwich consists of a spicy fried chicken fillet, lettuce, tomato and mayo on a bun. The chicken is dipped into a water and hot sauce mixture and then rolled in a mixture of seasoned flour. Most of the heat in this recipe comes from the hot sauce and the cayenne pepper. The hardest part of this recipe is breading the chicken, which does require a little bit of work but these sandwiches are so good, it is well worth the effort. You can adjust the toppings on this sandwich any way you like, adding pickles may be a good option. Enjoy.
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1/3 cup hot pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 4 hamburger buns
- 8 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl combine hot pepper sauce and water. In a shallow bowl or pie plate combine flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Pound each of the chicken breasts with a mallet until they are about 3/8 of an inch thick.
- Dip one fillet at a time first into the flour mixture, then into the pepper sauce mixture, and then once again in the flour mixture. Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Add the chicken breasts to the deep-fryer (1 or 2 at a time depending on how big your fryer is) and fry for 8 to 14 minutes until light brown and crispy and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.).
- Remove the chicken and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons of the mayonnaise onto the bottom half of the top of each bun. Place cooked chicken breasts onto the top of the bottom half of the bun.
- Top with a piece of lettuce and a tomato slice. Add the top half of the bun onto the sandwich mayonnaise side down.