This grilled chicken with pico de gallo is perfect for summer. There are many delicious ingredients that come together to give this dish a lot of flavor. This recipe does require a bit of work because you have to prepare several different components of this dish but it is delicious. The chicken breasts are marinated in and brushed with a honey mustard the sauce. The chicken is then grilled and topped with grilled red onion, crumbled bacon, and Monterey jack cheese. To add even more flavor to this chicken dish it is topped off with a fresh Pico de Gallo. The pico is a simple combination of tomato, jalapeno pepper, red onion, cilantro and lime juice. I like to serve this chicken with a cold pasta salad on the side. Enjoy.
Grilled Chicken with Pico de Gallo Recipe
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices of bacon (diced)
- 6 ounces Monterey jack cheese
- 4 red onion slices
- Pico De Gallo-
- 3 Roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ red onion (minced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (stemmed, seeded and minced)
- a handful of fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large ziplock bag or coverable bowl combine the mustard and the honey. Spoon ¼ cup of the honey mustard out of the bag and into a small bowl.
- Cover and set aside.
- Using a mallet pound the chicken breasts to a thickness of about ½ inch. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts into the bag and coat with the honey mustard sauce.
- Seal the bag and place into the refrigerator. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- To make the pico- in a small bowl combine the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Cook the diced bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Reserve the bacon grease in the pan. When the bacon has cooled toss it with the Monterey jack cheese in a medium bowl.
- Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Reduce the heat to low on one side of the grill and keep the heat at medium on the other side.
- Push a toothpick horizontally through the onion slices to hold the rings together while cooking. Brush the onion slices with the reserved bacon grease and place them onto the cooler side of the grill.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place the chicken on the hotter side of the grill. Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes to get a nice char. Flip the onion onto the other side. Baste the chicken with the reserved ¼ cup of honey mustard sauce.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion slices from the grill and transfer the chicken over to the cooler side of the grill. Carefully separate the onion rings and place them on top of the chicken breasts.
- Top each chicken breasts with some of the bacon and Monterey jack mixture.
- Cover and cook until the cheese has melted and the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 Degrees F.).
- Top with pico de gallo for serving.
Saturday 12th of July 2014
I made this dish the other night, and we enjoyed it. We will do it again on a hot summer night!