This white chicken enchilada bake is a delicious casserole that can be easily prepared for dinner. If you enjoy Mexican food and enchiladas this recipe is perfect for you. This recipe layers tortillas with chicken, a sauce, and cheese. You can cook the chicken fresh and then shred it or you can use leftover cooked chicken—the meat from a cooked rotisserie chicken will also work. The sauce gets a lot of its flavor from cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup and salsa verde. The salsa verde helps to add a little heat and Mexican flavor to this casserole. The casserole is topped off with ingredients such as black olives and green onion. You can add additional ingredients to this casserole as well such as corn and black beans. This casserole can be baked immediately or you can cover the casserole dish tightly, place it into the refrigerator overnight and bake it the next day. Enjoy.
Uses For Cooking White Chicken Enchilada Bake Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 12 ounces salsa verde
- 1 can low-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1lb shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sliced black olives (for garnish)
- chopped green onions (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish. In a large bowl combine chopped onion, salsa verde, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, milk, garlic powder, and ground black pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Spread a thin layer of the soup mixture onto the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Layer 5 of the tortillas over the soup mixture (You can cut them into pieces if you want or layer them whole). Layer half of the shredded chicken over the tortillas, followed by half of the remaining soup mixture.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded Mexican cheese blend. Repeat the layers, ending with the cheese on top. (At this point if you want to bake it the next day.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly, place it into the refrigerator overnight and bake it the next day).
- Place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Top with sliced black olives and chopped green onion.