Fried Bologna Sliders Recipe
If you have never tried fried bologna now is a great time with this delicious slider recipe. These sliders are loaded with fried bologna, mustard, garlic aioli and fried onion strings! The fried onion strings are a little bit of work to prepare but really add a nice crunch to this recipe. The garlic aioli gets a lot of its flavor from ingredients such as garlic, mayonnaise and lemon juice. I like to cook the bologna on a griddle because I can prepare several slices at ounce. These sliders are great as an appetizer to prepare for game day.
Fried Bologna Sliders
Yield: 4 Servings
- 12 Hawaiian rolls
- 12 slices bologna
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Fried onion strings-
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 quart canola oil
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
- To prepare the onion strings—slice the onion very thin. Place into a baking dish and pour buttermilk over the onions. Let soak for at least an hour.
- In a pie dish or large bowl combine flour, salt, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper. Heat oil in medium saucepan to 375 degrees F. Take a handful of the onions and toss in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour. Place into the hot oil and fry for a few minutes until golden brown. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until onions are gone.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cut the Hawaiian rolls in half. Lightly spread butter onto the cut sides of each bun. Place into the griddle cut-side down and cook until lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the skillet.
- Add the bologna slices and fry for about 2-3 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Repeat until all of the bologna slices are fried.
- To assemble the sliders- Spread a thin layer of mustard onto the top of the bottom piece of each bun. Fold a slice of fried bologna over the mustard. Top with onion strings. Spread a thin layer of garlic aioli onto the bottom of the top half of each bun. Place onto the sandwiches, garlic aioli side down.