This is the perfect dish if you are looking for a slightly different take on chicken salad. What I found interesting about this recipe is that the main ingredient is fresh basil, which gives this salad a very unique flavor. Preparing this dish is very easy—mayonnaise, garlic, basil, and celery are pureed in a blender and then mixed with parmesan cheese and chopped chicken. The cooking method for the chicken in this recipe is to bake it in the oven, but you could pan-fry or grill the chicken as well. This recipe is perfect for summer and the warmer weather; it is also great for busy nights when you don’t have much time to prepare a meal. This chicken salad goes on sandwiches with sliced tomato and cheese. Enjoy.
Basil Chicken Salad Recipe
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Place chicken breasts onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Place into the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes (or until the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees).
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to cool. Once the chicken has cooled chop it into chunks. Set aside.
- In a food processor combine mayonnaise, basil, garlic, and celery. Puree until smooth.
In a large serving bowl combine the chunked chicken, pureed mixture, and Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat. Refrigerate and serve.
(Makes 4 Servings)
Thursday 4th of October 2012
Heres another great version "without having to use and clean a food processor. Mix 2/3 fat free Hellmans Mayo with 1/3 fat free sour cream. Add "fresh finely chopped basil" or, do what I do. I always keep "fresh basil "frozen" in a zip lock bag" in my freezer) once froze, I Squash it" in the bag, and just pull out what I need at any given time!( I grow LOTS of basil)OK, So add fresh Basil, salt/course ground black pepper to taste, to mayo/sour cream mixture. Add crisp seedless red grapes(halved) thinly sliced sweet onion, walnuts or pecans(doesn't matter(or both), chopped celerly. You'll "figure out how much you want to use". It's a matter of taste. Good cooks "just know"...Mix all up, taste. Boom! Delicious! Good on Cresent rolls, in wraps or just on a plate of lettuce! This comination is so "exoic tasting"...You "can omit the basil", but I really hope you try it this way!Its "also "not green mixed by hand)
Wednesday 30th of May 2012
This was SO good :). I used 5 small chk breasts and it turned out perfect! It did turn out kind of green from the basilbasil but next time I won't mix it as much. Still tasted amazing!
Tuesday 22nd of May 2012
One of my favorite sandwiches from Wolfgang Pucks is their basil chicken salad sandwiches and I have been wanting to try one. Sounds super easy too. I saw it on Pinterest also!
Debs @ The Spanish Wok
Monday 21st of May 2012
Chicken/Basil, two of my favourite things, plus I have celery to use up too, thanks.
Pattie @ Olla- Podrida
Monday 21st of May 2012
I saw this on Pinterest. I love basil, so think this sounds delish and just perfect for the summer months. I'll be trying this.