Chicken Monterey is a simple and delicious recipe for BBQ chicken on the grill. This is apparently a copycat recipe from the Chili’s restaurant. I have never had this dish as Chili’s so I do not know if the taste is similar. The chicken is brushed with your favorite BBQ sauce while grilling and then topped with crispy bacon slices, Colby-jack cheese, green onions, and tomato. If you would prefer not to grill the chicken, it can be brushed with BBQ sauce and baked in the oven as well. It can be baked at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees. This is another great summer grilling recipe. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 8 slices bacon (cooked until crispy)
- 2 cups shredded Colby-jack cheese
- ½ cup green onions (sliced)
- ½ cup tomatoes (chopped)
- Place bacon slices, 4 at a time into a cold frying pan. Heat to medium-low and cook bacon, turning once until it has reached a deep brown color (about 10-15 minutes), remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts onto the grill and cook while turning and brushing with the BBQ sauce frequently on
- each side for 10-15 minutes per side (depending on the thickness), or until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees). During the last few minutes of cooking top each chicken breast with 2 slices of bacon and shredded Colby-jack cheese.
- Remove from the grill and top with green onions and tomatoes.