The colder weather is approaching and that means it is time to start preparing casserole dishes. This beef and bacon casserole is always an excellent option to serve for dinner. The combination of beef and bacon is delicious and when you add it to an Italian style casserole it’s even better! This casserole consists of rotini pasta that is mixed with an Italian meat sauce, placed into a casserole dish and then topped off with cheese. The baking time is only around 20 minutes so you can have this casserole ready to serve in no time at all. Serve with garlic bread. Enjoy. Adapted from Goodies Avolonte.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
- 1lb rotini pasta
- 1 (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 6 strips of bacon (diced)
- 1 1/2lbs ground beef
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil (chopped, for garnish)
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl combine crushed tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the bacon and onion and cook until the bacon is slightly crispy and the onion is golden brown. Add the ground beef and cook while breaking it up into chunks with a spatula until browned. The drain of any excess fat. Add the sauce to the pan and cook for a few additional minutes until bubbly. Stir the pasta into the sauce.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add the pasta mixture to the baking dish and top with cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese starts to brown.