Biscuits and gravy casserole is a great dish to prepare for breakfast or even dinner. Normally the sausage gravy would be served separately on top of biscuits but this recipe adds the gravy right into a casserole dish with the biscuits. The process to preparing this casserole is very simple— the gravy is first prepared in the pan and then poured over a layer of biscuits in the casserole dish. The gravy is then topped with oven more of the flaky biscuits and placed into the oven and cooked until golden brown. You can use different flavors of pork sausage for this recipe depending on your tastes. I like to serve this biscuits and gravy casserole with eggs and hash browns. Enjoy.
- 1 large can flaky biscuits
- 1/2lb ground breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 7×10 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Cut the biscuits into quarters.
- Lay half of the biscuit quarters into the prepared baking dish. Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- In a heavy skillet, cook the breakfast sausage over medium-high heat while breaking up into chunks with a spatula, until the sausage is fully cooked.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage with the flour and stir until it is completely absorbed. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the flour and sausage mixture for 3-5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Add the milk, a little at a time, while stirring.
- Add salt and ground black pepper. Stir frequently until the mixture comes to a slight boil. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a little more milk.
- The gravy should be thickened but not extremely thick, it should still be runny.
- Pour the gravy on top of the cooked biscuits in the casserole dish. Layer on the remaining uncooked, biscuit quarters over the sausage gravy.
- Place the casserole dish onto a baking sheet.
- Place into the oven and bake at 400 degrees F. for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.