Chicken avocado wraps are a delicious weekday dinner that require just 6 ingredients. If you’re pressed for time, you can cook the chicken ahead of time or use a store-bought rotisserie chicken. From there, you toss the filling ingredients together, place them in a tortilla, wrap it, and grill it in a pan.
The result is a toasty, rich, flavorful, and easy-to-eat dish that’s enjoyable on its own or pairs wonderfully with a wide range of side dishes.
Ingredients you need for chicken avocado wraps
This is a grocery list you could probably memorize. You need these 6 ingredients to make 4 servings of chicken avocado wraps:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or about 2 cups of cooked or rotisserie chicken, chopped or pulled
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
- 4 large flour tortillas
You can optionally use cooking spray or a bit of vegetable oil, too.
This recipe is a great opportunity to use leftover rotisserie chicken or the pulled rotisserie chicken that Walmart sells in its deli section.
How to prepare chicken avocado wraps
If you are starting with raw chicken, follow the steps as shown to prepare these fabulous wraps. If you’re starting with cooked chicken, skip to step 2 below.
1. Season and cook chicken breast
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F or 177°C. For easy clean up, line a baking sheet with foil.
Pat 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, then season them on both sides with the taco seasoning.
It’s no problem if you don’t have prepared taco seasoning on hand, either. My preferred substitute for taco seasoning is a homemade version made of:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more, if you like things spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Place the seasoned chicken breast on the prepared baking sheet and place the sheet in the heated oven. Bake for 30 minutes and then use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. You want it to be 165°F or 74°C. If the chicken’s temp is short of that benchmark, continue baking. Otherwise, pull it out of the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
After the chicken rests, chop it up into small-ish pieces.
2. Combine filling ingredients
Now, chop 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro. Toss it in a bowl, along with the chopped chicken, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and 1 avocado, cut into chunks. Stir everything gently.
Note that I like Mexican cheese blend for this recipe, but you could use shredded cheddar or shredded jack if that’s what you have.
2. Stuff tortillas and grill
Next you’ll channel your inner Chipotle employee. Lay a burrito-sized tortilla flat on your work surface. Place 1/4 of the filling in the center of the tortilla, leaving the edges free so you can roll it closed. Fold in the short sides first, then roll the wrap closed. Also see Food Network’s guide to rolling a burrito wrap.
You can spray a bit of cooking spray on the inner seam to help it stay closed. Or, wipe a bit of vegetable oil. I honestly forgot this step the last time I made this wrap and didn’t have any issues, so I’d consider this step optional.
Heat up a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Place the wraps in the hot pan, seam side down. Let it brown for 3 minutes and flip. Wait another 3 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve. You should see a nice browning on both sides and the cheese will be melted on the inside.
Ways you can customize chicken avocado wraps
Consider this a base recipe that you can customize in many other ways. Some ideas include:
- Chicken bacon avocado wraps. Swap out the taco seasoning for 1/2 the amount of ranch seasoning. Then add cooked, chopped bacon to the filling.
- Healthy chicken avocado wraps. To make chicken avocado wraps with less fat, simply omit the cheese. You could also add fresh tomatoes, chopped onions, and/or spinach.
Drinks and side dishes for chicken avocado wraps
Light, crisp beverages will go nicely with the savory chicken and creamy avocado elements. Consider serving these wraps with white or rose wine, light beer, iced tea, or sparkling water. A mojita or margarita would be lovely as well.
As for side dishes, you have tons of flexibility there. Try:
- Chips and salsa
- Black beans
- Cole slaw
- Sweet potato fries
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 177°C. Season the chicken breasts on both sides evenly with the taco seasoning. Place onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Place the chicken into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked -- that's when the internal temperature has reached 165°F or 74°C.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool. Chop the cooked chicken into chunks. In a large bowl combine the chopped chicken, Mexican cheese, avocado, and cilantro.
- Arrange ¼ of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Bring the sides of the tortilla toward the center of the filling. Fold the bottom of the tortillas up over the filling and continue to roll until the burrito closes. Spray the seam side of each burrito lightly with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Place the wraps into the skillet seam-side down and cook until golden brown and crisp on the bottom, turn over and cook until golden brown on the other side (about 2-3 minutes per side).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 685mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 1gProtein: 31g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.