One of my favorite curry dishes is Chicken Tikka Masala. This is a very popular dish in many restaurants around the world but mainly in the United Kingdom. Chicken Tikka Masala is chicken marinated in a yogurt mixture, cooked and then served with a tomato cream sauce. Did I mention the chicken is also grilled? I prefer to grill the chicken but you could also bake it or cook it in the pan if you prefer. For grilling make sure you soak the skewers in water overnight so they don’t catch fire on the grill. If you are not a big fan of spicy foods, I would recommend cutting down on the cayenne pepper or leaving it out altogether. If you are making more then the recipe calls for, I don’t think it’s necessary to double the marinade. This recipe takes a little work but its well worth it. Serve with white rice. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 4 long wooden skewers (soaked overnight in water)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped, for garnish)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or less, to taste)
- 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 4 teaspoons salt (or less, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl mix yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ginger, and salt.
- Add chicken bits and mix well, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. After 1-hour thread chicken bits onto skewers. Discard the marinade.
- Lightly oil grill grates and preheat the grill to high heat. Put chicken onto the grill and cook until juices run clear (about 5 minutes on each side).
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapeño peppers and sauté for 1 minute. Add 2 teaspoons of cumin, paprika, and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato sauce and heavy cream.
- Bring to a boil while stirring reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Add grilled chicken to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with white rice and garnish with cilantro.
Tuesday 14th of February 2012
We love this dish! Made it several times now and it's gone down brilliantly with everyone! In fact, we liked it so much that we've posted our adaptation of it over on our blog, thejoyfulsoul.wordpress.com Our post links back to your site and we recommended that people come and check you out!
Monday 22nd of March 2010
I tried this last night and it was Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this!
Tuesday 24th of November 2009
This is fantastic! Only change we made to the recipe was to cut down the salt.
Friday 13th of November 2009
Beautiful website, amazing recipes. I was searching the Internet for Orange Chicken recipes and chanced upon your blog.
You mentioned in this post that Chicken Tikka Masala is popular in the UK :) I'm sure it's not as popular in the UK as it is in India :)
We use a bit more of Indian spices like Garam Masalas and Chili powders.
Tuesday 10th of November 2009
I tried this out last night. My husband and I both thought that it was perfect! Thanks again for sharing!